Monday, February 20, 2017

Dollar Store Preps: Basic Family Needs for under $100

I used to think "Preppers" were just wackadoo conspiracy theorists hiding out in bunkers preparing for an apocalypse. While I don't feel the need to go that far, the last couple of months has taught me that anything can freaking happen. Aside from the terrible news, there is always the real threat of a tornado or snow storm in the Midwest, and my one flashlight and old candles likely won't cut it. It's never a bad idea to have some supplies on hand. I have found that prepping gives me a solid thing to do to provide security for my family. But living on a tight budget and a single income, setting extra aside extra seemed out of reach at first.

 I did some more digging and found ways purchase many security items for my family for cheap by shopping at Dollar Tree and adding items to my weekly grocery list at Aldi. I am for real a newbie prepper, so I am here to share with you what I am learning. My goal current goal is light prepping for emergency situations. These are just the items I found handy at my dollar store, not all the prepping supplies I am getting.


  • Dollar Store Tips
    • If you aren't familiar with dollar stores, there are a few kinds. Dollar General is comparable to grocery store prices in my opinion. I like stores like Dollar Tree, where everything is $1 (which is why there are no price tags- I didn't know this and asked!).
    • Check the shelves- You can buy 2 toothbrushes for $1, or look down and find a pack of 4 toothbrushes for $1. A small bottle of hydrogen peroxide is $1, look on the bottom shelf and find a big bottle also for $1.
    • Not all things are worth $1. Cans of food can be purchased at Aldi for $0.39 for example.
    • For my Dollar Store preps, I broke my items down in to categories and saved the list in my phone (I use the Out of Milk app for my multiple grocery lists). 
    • The list is always handy, and I can grab things if I run in to the dollar store, make plans to go monthly or bi-weekly, or shop by category so I don't get overwhelmed. 
    • Break it down if you need to - this list gets you started for under $100. You can easily break it down to $10 at a time or what you need to afford it! Remember, each item on this list is only $1! 
    • My first step was to buy containers at the dollar store for each category to keep all the items together and organized. I got large, deep Tupperware. The size of your totes depends on how long you intend to prep for (week/month/year). My medical supplies will go in a large tackle box. 
    • It's great to get multi-purpose items! 
    • Your whole family can use the same deodorant, soap, razors, etc.! No need to buy men's/women's stuff. 
Here's my Dollar Store Prep List! 
  • Food Needs
    • Can Opener
    • Bottle Opener/Corkscrew (I found a 2 in 1)
    • Knives (I just got a two pack of sharp/multi-purpose knives)
    • Metal bowls/plates/silverware
    • Kitchen Scissors
    • Knife Sharpener
    • Tupperware containers
    • Towels/rags
    • Dish soap 
  • Hygiene 
    • Soap (bar)
    • Shampoo
    • Deodorant
    • Disposable razors
    • Hair ties (tons of uses!)
    • Brushes/combs (I found a 5 pack) 
    • Chap-stick 
    • Mouthwash (a tooth ache can be a huge problem - think Cast Away)
    • Toothpaste
    • Toothbrushes
    • Floss 
    • Hand sanitizer (this is a big one!)
  • Survival 
    • Lighters (look for a big pack)
    • Matches (big box & single packs)
    • Flash lights
    • Batteries
    • Ponchos
    • Fire Starters
    • Long burning emergency candles 
    • Glow sticks
    • Duct tape 
    • Needle & thread 
  • Medical (small things are a big deal in emergency situations!) 
    • Rubber gloves
    • Face masks
    • Bandages
    • Pain killers (check labels here, bottles range for 10-100 capsules!) 
    • Anti-diarrhea/anti-vomit (must-have to avoid dehydration) 
    • Allergy meds
    • Pain killers 
    • Rubbing alcohol 
    • Hydrogen peroxide
    • Multi-vitamins 
    • Sunscreen 
    • Aloe gel 
    • Cotton balls
    • Q-tips 
  • Food (don't get items at the dollar store that you can get way cheaper at the grocery store)
    • Instant Coffee
    • Quick Oats
    • Nuts 
  • Pass times (you may need to entertain yourself without power!) and Misc. 
    • Puzzle books
    • Coloring books/colored pencils/crayons 
    • Pens/Pencils/Sharpies
    • Cards/Games
    • Magnifying glass
  • Clothing
    • Socks
    • Underwear
    • Bandannas
    • Sunglasses (I know this seems random, but it sucks to not have some)

You will likely find more things to add to this list, or things that you don't feel like you need. If you see stuff I'm missing, please comment!

Coming up: Weekly Grocery Store Preps, making a bug-out bag, and my experience with self defense classes!

No comments:

Post a Comment