Sunday, November 6, 2016

You've Set the Bar Too High, Pinterest

Pinterest is the most wonderful and terrible thing on the planet, and the inventors of Pinterest are internet freaking geniuses. Before Pinterest, I barely used the internet except for emails and Facebook. I had no idea what was out there. Suddenly, instructions on EVERYTHING are at my fingertips with beautiful pictures in well organized boards. Let's be honest. It's always been there. Pinterest is Pretty Google. You are Googling things and putting them into folders. It's just so much better.

Pinterest is single-handledly responsible for teaching me how to cook and opening me up to all the possibilities of Mason jars. I literally had no idea that Mason jars could in fact change my life. Not to mention, Pinterest has helped launch about a million bloggers who otherwise might never be found. There are things I never would have thought I could do if it weren't for Pinterest and all the amazing bloggers.

That's also the problem! You can go to Pinterest to learn how to do something, or to learn how to do that thing in the best possible way ever! Last week I simply wanted to learn how to roast the pumpkin seeds from our jack-o-latern. Not only did I learn how to do that, I learned 50 ways of making the best possible pumpkin seeds that your guests will die for. I bet you had no idea a damn pumpkin seed was so versatile.

No game has been more upped by Pinterest than parties. I am currently planning my daughter's third birthday, and of course, I turned to Pinterest for ideas on her chosen Pete the Cat theme. Once upon a time, when your kid had a birthday, you went to a party supply store and bought some balloons and plates in whatever theme, ordered a matching cake from the grocery store, and bought a veggie tray and some chips and salsa. Done. If this is you, don't ever change. Save yourself millions of dollars and hours.

Because now there is Pinterest to show you how to create everything you need for the perfect party of your dreams. Since your friends are on Pinterest, they also know what amazing things you could do for your party, because they are doing it all too. You can make your own adorable decorations out of upcycled old clothes, a custom sign out of your neighbors reclaimed pool deck, and serve all your food in stations out of various size jars. Gone are the pre-ordered cakes, you can learn how to make bakery style cakes with impeccable fondant, in the shape of your child! Why buy a Ninja Turtle balloon when you can make a life-size Ninja Turtle out of kiwi? Don't forget the ice cubes infused with herbs from your garden and lemonade from the lemons in your mini green house. Be sure to label all the refreshments with calligraphic signs written in your own glittery blood.

I am pretty crafty and I think that a lot of stuff like this is fun. I really do enjoy creating a special day for my daughter. And yep, I'll be getting some ideas from Pinterest.  I am, however, dialing it down a bit. In the long run, my kid isn't going to remember the hours I spent on the hand-made decorations, and I will likely regret all the hot glue gun burns and paper cuts acquired in the process. Who cares if a few of my guests snub their noses at my Party City plates and store-bought non-ogranic veggie tray (served in the plastic container it came in). Who invited those bitches anyway? Because what it is ACTUALLY about is celebrating my daughter, hanging out with friends, and eating lots of food. If you want to guarantee your child's party is a success, serve alcohol. Kids birthday parties can really suck for the adult guests who don't know each other if they must be completely sober.

No comments:

Post a Comment